CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, August 10, 2008

RIP - Isaac Hayes


This is sad, yesterday it was Bernie Mac, today it is Isaac Hayes.

I was young, maybe 6 or 7 when the movie Shaft came out and the theme song was on the radio, LITERALLY ALL THE TIME! I lived in the south, and popular radio, at least the radio my parents listened to, was still pretty much segregated. But this song was a huge crossover hit and began my lifelong love of Soul Music.

Then he became Chef on South Park, and already high esteem for Mr Hayes continued to grow.

It sounds like he had a sudden heart attack while working out on a treadmill at home. He had worked out the contracts and was getting ready to record a new album. Just like I said yesterday, it is really sad when an artist still has great work left inside them when they go.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we must be about the same age. Later, when I was in 8th and 9th grade, our school band got an arrangement of "Shaft" to play during football games. It was like, "Finally! Some real music." Of course, we probably mangled it, but I think every one of us recognized that Mr. Hayes' music was on a whole other plane than most of what we heard. We've lost a true genius.